Because it is fun! By volunteering at a GovHack event you support a civic society and digital entrepreneur ecosystem and help run a super fun event in your community.
Volunteers are in the thick of things. GovHack attracts cool, talented people and open minded industry and government partners. Over 46 hours you will witness and be part of the excitement of watching some open data be mashed, analysed and improved into new concepts and ideas. GovHack volunteers gain a whole swag of skills you wouldn’t have exposure to in your day job!
Depending on your time commitment you can join an organising team or just volunteer on the weekend.
We need friendly, helpful people who can do anything from setting up the pizza boxes or herding the troops and welcome any skilled volunteers that can provide tech support or media support.
Sounds like you?
To start your application, head to govhack.org/volunteer
Please read below for the list of available roles.
GovHack Australia Ltd Board Roles
Want to be involved with GovHack on a strategic level? Assist with the Governance and direction of the company? We have casual vacancies available on our board. If you have previous board experience and are passionate about pushing GovHack forth into the future, please tick “Board” on the Volunteer Form
GovHack Competition Volunteers
GovHack Operation Team (GOT)
Provides central coordination of the competition structure and communications, runs the National Red Carpet Awards and provides overall and coordination and leadership for State Directors, state operations teams and GovHack events.
Please note you MUST have past GovHack experience to apply for GovHack Operations Team roles.
GoT Volunteer Roles Available:
- Government, Community & Data Team
- Government Director + Deputy
- Architecture Team
- Technology Architect
- System Engineer
- Digital and Creative Team
- Web Development Lead
- Graphic Designer
- Social Content Manager
GovHack State/Territory Operations Team (S/TOT)
Provides overall coordination and support for state/territory-wide sponsorship, state/territory prize categories, marketing, communications, data and much more. They also organise of any pre-events and the state awards night event. The State/Territory Operations Team is lead by the State/Territory Director. All GovHack Hosts will report to GovHack Operations and work with the State/Territory Operations Team.
Generally at a State/Territory level a volunteer will fill multiple roles.
S/TOT Volunteer Roles Available (for each State/Territory):
- State/Territory Director
Please note you MUST have past GovHack experience to be a State/Territory Director.
- State/Territory Sponsorship Team
- Primary Sponsorship Manager
- Deputy Sponsorship Manager
- State/Territory Event Management Team
- Awards Manager
- Connections Award Manager
- Logistics Coordinator
- Event Support
- State/Territory Competition, Data & Government Team
- Data Manager
- Judging/Awards Coordinator
- Competition, Data & Government Support
- State/Territory Communications and Media Team
- Marketing & Communications Manager
- State/Territory Media Liaison
- Social Media Manager
- Communications & Media Support
- State/Territory Community and Local Event Support Team
- Community Manager
- Local Event Team Liaison
- Community & Local Event Team Support
GovHack Local Event Team (LET)
Each event is supported by a swag of dedicated volunteers that support their host and the running of the event. There are various roles within a Local Event Team that are designed to support and complement the work done by the State/Territory Operations Team. The Official Event Host is the person responsible for recruiting and managing their GovHack Local Event Team. Node Hosts are required to have just a core team of 2-4 people + event day volunteers & mentors (if available).
Generally at a Local Event level a volunteer will fill multiple roles.
LeT Volunteer Roles Available:
- Event Management Support Team
- Event Host (Primary Coordinator of each event)
- Deputy Event Host
- Catering Coordinator
- Technical Coordinator
- Logistics Coordinator
- Event Day Crew
- Sponsorship Coordinator
- Deputy Sponsorship Coordinator
- Marketing and Communications Team
- Marketing & Media Coordinator
- Deputy Marketing Coordinator
- Data, Mentors and Government
- Local Government and Data Coordinator
- Deputy Government and Data Coordinator
- Mentor Coordinator
- Community Champion
- Deputy Community Champion